Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Scouring in the Key of G

1951 Ad, S.O.S. Magic Scouring Pads by flickr user Classic Film

Brett: Is there a brand of scouring pad you recommend?  Because I've got some things I need to scour.

Lori: I only know of SOS pads, like a little Brillo cowpie.  I don't scour often, I guess.

(Editor's note: yes, Lori did unknowingly use a second brand name when describing how she only knew one brand.)

Brett: Did you come up with that cowpie comparison yourself?  You should go in to marketing.  SOS would surely get a huge cut of the market if they used that.

Lori: Well, that's what they look like!  But I don't think SOS would go for it.  They'd probably want to advertise using soft lighting, and Kenny G on the sax.  Isn't that commercial gold?

Brett: I would buy anything he advertised.  Shower with Kenny G sponsored soap, eat at the Kenny G diner, wear Kenny G underwear... okay, maybe that last one is a little weird.

Lori: Your examples certainly show the range of sell-able products... How do we contact him?

Brett: Uh, I don't know... Ah!  Here's an idea: we hang out at a bar and hope he shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment